Inspired by a pursuit of beauty, Riley combines classically thoughtful botanical designs with Parker’s carefully considered film images in an expression of the multifaceted relationship between humankind and nature. The two artists contrast anonymous portraiture with sweeping landscapes in an attempt to capture both the malleable and untamed aspects of the natural world.
New Orphan Black Season 2 posters.
A Song of Ice and Fire women & Pre-Raphaelite Art (+ associated artists):
- Joan of Arc (1865), John Everett Millais
- Night (1880-85), Edward Robert Hughes
- Ophelia (1894), John William Waterhouse
- Vanity (1907), Frank Cadogan Cowper
- Mary Magdalene (1858-60), Frederick Sandys
- The Soul of the Rose (1908), John William Waterhouse
- Circe Offering the Cup to Ulysses (1891), John William Waterhouse
- Priestess of Delphi (1891), John Collier
- The Beloved (1865), Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- The Valykrie’s Vigil (1906), Edward Robert Hughes
On the heels of this post detailing the adorable story of the hedgehog gene, here’s some more of my favorite silly gene names, and the mutant reasons their redonkulous names:
- tinman - Mutants do not develop a heart (Fruit fly)
- dreadlocks - Causes photoreceptors to sprout dreadlock-like axon projections (Fruit fly)
- tribbles - Causes out of control cell division (Fruit fly)
- maggie - Larvae never mature (Fruit fly)
- hamlet - Affects a type of sensory cell called “IIB” (Fruit fly)
- dunce - Affects learning and memory (Fruit fly)
- smaug - Represses Nanos, which means “dwarf” (Fruit fly)
- groucho - Excessive bristles on the face (Fruit fly)
- ken and barbie - Lack of external genitalia (Fruit fly)
- indy - Stands for “I’m not dead yet”, a la Monty Python (Fruit fly)
- lush and cheap date - Affect alcohol metabolism (Fruit fly)
- RING - A protein segment that comes from “really interesting new gene”
- tigger and pogo - Two families of transposable elements, or pieces of DNA that can jump around genomes (Multiple species)
- kryptonite and superman - Kryptonite represses superman, which causes extra stamens to form in flowers (Arabadopsis)
- Yuri gagarin - Protein involved in sensing gravity (Fruit fly)
- callipyge - Leads to formation of large, round buttocks in sheep (from Greek for “beautiful buttocks”)
- chablis, frascati, merlot, retsina, riesling, cabernet, grenache, chardonnay, chianti, pinotage, sauternes, weissherbst, zinfandel - A set of genes found to inhibit blood cell formation. Get it? Red and white?! (Zebrafish)
I think these would make an excellent art project, all you artistically-and-scientifically inclined people out there. Any of your favorites that I missed?
The Manatee Nebula is a Supernova remnant located in the constellation Aquila, about 18,000 light years away.
Credit: NRAO/AUI/NSF, K. Golap, M. Goss; NASA’s Wide Field Survey Explorer (WISE).
Blah blah blah, it doesn’t matter what I say. Because the all-new HTC One is designed for people who form their own opinions. So, go ahead, ask the Internet.
Lost in the pain and desperation of the ads, he didn’t notice that the others were leaving until Beverly Katz spoke to him.
"I’m sorry, Beverly. What did you say?" He looked at her bright eyes and kindly, well-worn face.
"I just said I’m glad to see you back, Champ. You’re looking good."
faig ahmed’s Embroidered Art
When you think of traditional carpets from Azerbaijan, the thought of contemporary art does not quickly spring to mind… but these beautiful, and modern works will change that. Faiq Ahmed, a native of the Eurasian nation, has taken his countries old-school art form and brought it beautifully into the current era, deconstructing the ancient process of weaving and adapting it to todays contemporary art forms.
for some reason, these make me really uncomfortable and i love it so much
the best art makes you a little uncomfortable.textile boner
PAVONI Couture Fall/Winter 2013